Affiliate Marketing Training Programs and Courses

Daytime Soaps: A Dangerous Addiction?

So summer is finally here, and you know what that means. Well, maybe you dont. You probably work a normal job that goes all year round. Or maybe youre a stay-at-home mom, or you work from home. Not me. Im a school teacher by profession. So when summer rolls around, my whole schedule changes. My daily grind suddenly grinds to a halt, and I find myself taking shelter from sweltering summer heat in my cool and comfortable apartment, watching what else? the daytime soaps.

Its easy to become addicted (again) to my favorite daytime soaps, even though I scarcely get to watch them from September through June. I suppose its because I was raised on them, and tuning in to my soaps is like getting together with old friends. Oh, theyve changed somewhat over the months and years, but in essence theyre the same, and theyve been waiting for me to join them once again.

I think most devotees of the daytime soaps stick to one channel. For example, you might be an NBC gal, in which case you only get to watch Days of Our Lives. Or maybe youre a CBS watcher, meaning that you follow The Young and the Restless, the Bold and the Beautiful, Guiding Light and As the World Turns. As for me, I was raised on ABC, so for me its all about All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital. These are the daytime soaps I was raised on. I dont know when I started watching, or exactly why. My mother and my sister watched, so I did too. I guess it was something we all could share.

Things havent changed terribly in Pine Valley, or in Llanview, or in Port Charles, since I was a kid. On All My Children, Erica Kane still rules the roost. On One Life to Live, Viki and Dorian are still going at each other. Some younger characters come and go, but for the most part the main players stay the same. Which is just the way I like it on my daytime soaps. It keeps everything nice and familiar.

The problem for me is, maybe its all a little too familiar. Especially that feeling when midday comes around, that excited little thrill when I realize its time to watch my stories. Why do I get so obsessed with the fictional exploits of privileged, pampered rich people who dont even really exist? Their loves, their longings, their rivalries and deceits become more important to me than the people and events of my own life. I find myself starting to look online for spoilers. Whats going to happen next? Then of course I discover the message boards, where other obsessives like me can prattle on about our theories and predictions to a receptive and like-minded audience. I bond with invisible strangers over my enthusiasm for the narrative twists and turns of daytime soaps.

Of course, inevitably, the summer vacation must come to an end. Kids all over the nation dread it, and lets face it some teachers do too. But for me, the beginning of the new school year is kind of a life preserver, rescuing me from my own fixation. I just get too addicted to those darn daytime soaps. Its a good thing I have Tivo, though. I couldnt just go cold turkey like that. I wouldnt want to be totally cut off!
You have read the best review article categorized by free tips and the title Daytime Soaps: A Dangerous Addiction?. You can bookmark or spread this post by using this URL http://howto-howto8.blogspot.com/2012/08/daytime-soaps-dangerous-addiction.html. Thank You!

Comments :

0 comments to “Daytime Soaps: A Dangerous Addiction?”

Post a Comment

Affiliate Marketing Training Programs and Courses
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive